Today’s strategic decision-makers are faced with very demanding issues (COVID-19 variants, war in UKraine) with the collapse of various market segments, world-wide trade wars making for turbulent markets, and trying to manage the increasing complexity) affecting various business operations.
Need to be adaptive while be Competitive!
Why does complexity exist? Access to Big Data and IoT Applications provide the exchange of data and information in milliseconds. These systems provide information associated with organization's business in many areas: competitive market demands, competitors changes in product and services, and changes in internal operations require quick accurate decisions. So, the organization and its management are under the gun to “survive”. Survival requires an organization (or cross-organizational entity) to define its business scope and mission which includes assigning interdependent resources (people, land, capital, organizations, and technology) who must work together in a coordinated way to share information in support of a common mission (or set of related missions). An organization has an implicit and an explicit architecture. One explicit manifestation of an organizational structure and relationships shown on an organization chart.
In Gartner’s “Top Strategic Technology Trends for 2022” many organizations have to rebuild their organizations into an intelligent composable business. Meaning changes have to address: better access to information to gain insights thru a modular approach to change so decisions can be made rapidly. Business unit decision-makers will need to compose analysis that provide them with the flexibility, insight, and assessments of impact upon their unit.
Our definition of an organization's Enterprise Architecture is it is the structure of components, their interrelationships, the principles and guidelines that govern their design and evolution over time. An organization's enterprise architectures are essential for alignment of business initiatives, corporate governance, change management and portfolio management as well as for sourcing situations where (composable parts) of the business and IT are co-located even with a third party.
In today’s competitive environment, organizations are merging, consolidating, and streamlining their business processes to reduce costs and increase business productivity. Key-levels of integration include data, business logic, business process, and user integration. These integration levels are necessary to focus the business processes and users to understand factors needed to better manage business processes. Business units will be assembling capabilities to achieve their goals. As such, they will include:
- Ensuring consistency
- Optimizing processes
- Automating manual processes
- Integrating complex or redundant processes
- Mitigating risks
- Enforcing performance management
Enterprise architecture in conjunction with implementations of transformational business process management (BPM) combines with the right information to improve organization's effectiveness. To implement BPM most effectively, tools and expertise are needed to model, assemble, deploy, and manage processes. IBD has the experience and expertise to help make this happen.
In the Role as Strategic Decision-Makers:
- Use frameworks (like Balanced Scorecard, SWOT, various Risk Management Assessments, Strategic Alignment, etc.) to classify the problem, and its focus
- Outline the decision-making process steps to be used
- Define the problem, specify potential answers
- Enumerate options
- Specify assumptions for options
- Use analytics to gain insight (Pros-Cons, Decision-Matrix, Decision Tree, Semantic Analysis, etc.)
- Draw conclusions
- Make strategic decision and agree on responsibilities to accomplish it
They are also seeking to achieve the benefits of producing results that include:
- alignment by ensuring the reality of the implemented organization is aligned with management’s intent
- integration by realizing that the business rules are consistent across the organization
- making data and its use are immutable, interfaces and information flow are standardized
- ensuring connectivity and interoperability are managed across the organization
- driving change by facilitating and managing change to any aspect of the organization
- time-to-market by reducing systems development, applications generation, modernization timeframes, and resource requirements
We believe Wizsm’s integrated suite provides a way of assembling capabilities and capturing the organization’s strategic direction and through Enterprise Architecture show key relationships and implementations of projects that address that direction.
To learn more, examine Wizsm tooling.